Costa Rica won a special prize as a “Sustainable International Destination” for the Spanish Viajar magazine. It is the first country to win this award.
Costa Rica unanimously won Viajar’s special prize “Sustainable International Destination” by offering visitors the chance to visit 8 biological reserves as sustainable destinations. It is the first country to ever get this award.
On this post we will talk about:
These awards, which only honor Spanish destinations, created this international award out of competition this year to keep a foreign site that follows sustainability, and Costa Rica was chosen for its sustainable tourism development model.
On December 15, 2022, the Rosewood Villa Magna Hotel in Madrid hosted the second “Sustainable Travel and Tourism Awards” gala. Winners were announced this week.
What it means for Costa Rica
“The sustainable tourism development model that distinguishes us worldwide allows us to be recognized with this award and commits us to continue working to be the ideal destination to connect with nature, a sustainable sanctuary that offers tourists unique experiences,” said Ireth Rodríguez, Costa Rican Tourism Institute head of promotion (ICT).
The “Sustainable Travel and Tourism Awards” honor destinations, accommodations, and initiatives that promote accessibility, inclusion, and sustainability and precede the Spanish publication’s 45th anniversary next year.
You may also like 6 Reasons to visit Manuel Antonio
The first Spanish travel magazine, “Viajar,” has 261,000 monthly print readers, 1.4 million unique monthly website users, and almost 2 million social media followers.
Between January and November 2022, 49,124 Spaniards visited Costa Rica.
Other awards Costa Rica won in the past:
Costa Rica has received numerous awards and accolades for its efforts in sustainability and environmental conservation. Some examples include:
- In 2019, Costa Rica was ranked as the second-most sustainable country in the world by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
- In 2020, Costa Rica was named the “happiest country in the world” by the World Happiness Report, which takes into account factors such as social support, life expectancy, and income.
- In 2021, Costa Rica was recognized as a “Climate Champion” by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) for its efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote renewable energy.
- Costa Rica has also been recognized as a global leader in ecotourism, with numerous eco-lodges, hotels, and tour operators receiving awards and certifications for their commitment to sustainable tourism practices.
- In 2020, Costa Rica’s Pacuare Lodge was named one of the “World’s Best Eco-Lodges” by Travel + Leisure magazine, and in 2021, the Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa was recognized as one of the “World’s Best Sustainable Hotels” by National Geographic.
STAFF, T. (2023). Costa Rica Received the “Sustainable International Destination” Award from the Spanish Magazine “Viajar.” The Costa Rica News. https://thecostaricanews.com/costa-rica-received-the-sustainable-international-destination-award-from-the-spanish-magazine-viajar/
Costa Rica recibió el premio “Destino Internacional Sostenible” otorgado por la revista española Viajar. (2022, December 28). Revista Viajes, Revista Especializada Sobre Turismo, Viajes Y Negocios. https://www.revistaviajesdigital.com/turismo-y-negocios/3437-costa-rica-recibio-el-premio-destino-internacional-sostenible-otorgado-por-la-revista-espanola-viajar